Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pattern or Pattern - (We went with silhouette.)

We have been working on Charlie's science fair project.  It is on Black Bears.  Well, at first it was going to be on wolverines, then it was killer ants, and NOW it is black bears.

He is making a poster telling ALL about bears.

One of the things we decided to do was to get some black fur and cut it out in the shape of a bear.  But Charlie was curious about the word pattern.  Because last year in kindergarten he learned about patterns.  White, white, black, black.  White, white, black, black.  (That's a 1,1,2,2, pattern - see I learned something in kindergarten too!)

I was using the word in a different way.  And it was confusing.  I found a silhouette of a black bear on the internet, blew it up, and printed it out.  I told Charlie we were going to use this as our pattern to cut out a fuzzy black bear.  And that is where he got hung up.

Then we were at BBC waiting for our buy one get one free pizzas and naturally I was the one coloring with the crayons and I made a pattern - see?  Blue, green, yellow, red.  Blue, green, yellow, red...


This was when he asked me why I was calling the silhouette of a black bear a pattern.  I tried to explain but ultimately we decided to settle on the word silhouette instead.




p.s. Black fuzz is EVERYWHERE.  And Charlie vacuumed as I cut!

No comments: